An e-Infrastructure is an electronic infrastructure to facilitate interchange of data and remote operation between research facilities over the internet. AQUAEXCEL has developed, implemented and evaluated technical solutions for providing remote access to some of AQUAEXCEL’s research facilities. The individual AQUAEXCEL partners have developed and adapted e-Infrastructures which suited their requirements. Given the diverse range of existing e-Infrastructures, a number of different solutions were investigated.
Five facilities were used for testing the developed e-Infrastructures. For each facility, a technical solution for external access (e-infrastructure) was provided as follows:
• IMARES: External accessibility of the system for monitoring water quality in Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (RAS) as well as using SharePoint to exchange data.
• SINTEF/ACE: Remote access to the Aquaculture Engineering (ACE) industry scale salmon farming Research Infrastructure, including oceanography data and also a common model for storage of data on water quality.
• WAGENINGEN UNIVERSITY: External data capture and access to the Metabolic Research Unit.
• NOFIMA: Data exchange on water quality data in Recirculation Aquaculture Systems.
• NTNU: Client-less secure remote access to the CodTech Marine Hatchery Automation Laboratory.
A central portal for entrance to the different e-Infrastructures was created through a Wikidot site. This provides a user interface which contains the necessary information regarding pre-conditions and logon information for each facility. Access to the different partner e-Infrastructures is controlled locally to ensure compatibility with existing technical infrastructure and required security levels. You can request access to the e-infrastructure here.
Five videos "AQUAEXCEL e-Infrastructure Training Sessions" are also available on the AQUAEXCEL Vimeo channel, to view these videos click here.